Wednesday, May 6, 2015

An open letter from the friend zone

I just came across this earlier today. I've been thinking (yes, thinking mentally, SM!!!) a lot of late (an excuse for procrastination)

There seems to be a common misconception that it's only guys who get friendzoned and left forever alone. (Kollywood songs I know say the same thing). 

I am tired of being asked, "What? How are you still single?". Then they add, "Oh, but you're so pretty. And intelligent as well. Are you seriously single?" I don't know what to say when someone says, "What? You got rejected? Friendzoned? Really?". Yes. Really. Big deal. I am just glad I wasn't led on with false hopes. 

Do you know of the conversation that goes like this :

Guy - "What do you think of love/relationships?"
You - "..."
Guy - "You know that girl in your class/your friend? I love her. Please help me talk to her."

or the one that goes,

Guy - "Who is that girl? She's gorgeous. Isn't she your friend? Please can you introduce us?"/"How do you think I should approach this girl?"
You - "..."

This has been the gist of many of my conversations from school days until now. So much that even now, if some guy starts a conversation with me, the first thing I wonder about is which of the girls I've been seen with he's interested in...

(On an aside, how do you "love" someone just by seeing them a few times? My mind boggles at the thought...)

So, just for the record, yes, I have been friendzoned. Rejected. And tired of being a 'wingwoman' or whatever. If you are interested in, (or 'love' someone whom you've seen a few times from a great distance), please summon up enough courage to approach them directly. A "sorry, but I'm not interested in you" isn't the end of the world. If you want to talk to me, then come and talk to me directly. (Last week someone told me they were scared to initiate a conversation with me because I'm quiet. :| )

Adios, folks...

(Apologies for a not-really-coherent post).



No comments:

Post a Comment